Do you want to help ensure every worker in this province goes home safely at the end of the day?
We’re looking for enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and dedicated individuals to help us build safer and healthier workplaces in British Columbia. If you have at least four years of direct hands-on experience in any of the industries listed below, and have been involved in workplace health and safety, we want to hear from you. We have positions available in the following locations:
• Lower Mainland – Construction—Asbestos
• Fort St. John – Forestry or Oil & Gas
• Nanaimo – Manufacturing
• Nelson – Manufacturing or Wood Products
• Terrace – Forestry, Construction, or Manufacturing
• Victoria – Forestry
We’ll be reviewing applications weekly — don’t wait, apply today for roles scheduled to start in June 2019. Please specify in your cover letter which location(s) you prefer.
What you’ll do:
You’ll partner with industry to reduce risk and keep workplaces healthy and safe through education, consultation and enforcement. You’ll make a positive, tangible difference by:
• Inspecting workplaces to ensure that a safe work environment is being maintained and work procedures reflect effective accident prevention practices
• Ensuring that there are no potential health or safety hazards to workers, that workers and the employer have been apprised of their responsibilities, and that first aid services and equipment meet current criteria
• Writing orders to ensure compliance with the Workers Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Regulation
• Consulting with and educating employers, workers, and others on occupational health and safety matters
• Partnering with industry to ensure the success of safety initiatives
Meet one of our occupational safety officers to learn more about the job.
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for people who can:
• Apply their knowledge of workplace industrial processes, equipment, and technology
• Use their interpersonal and communication skills to convey knowledge and gain compliance on complex health and safety issues and concerns within various work environments
• Use their critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate unique workplace health and safety issues and identify effective mitigations and controls
• Make and enforce timely decisions independently and objectively, using sound judgment and technical knowledge
• Professionally deal with emergencies and sensitive situations
• Work variable hours, including Saturdays, be available for emergency call out after hours or weekends, and be willing to travel throughout the province
Your experience and educational background:
• A minimum of four years of direct hands-on work experience in one of the industries listed above where you have gained broad knowledge of the industry’s processes, equipment, terminology, risks and hazards. Roles held could include superintendent, health and safety representative, owner, foreman, tradesperson, or operator
• General knowledge of occupational health and safety
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we’re dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases do occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers’ compensation system today and for future generations. We’re honoured to serve the million workers and 235,000 registered employers in our province.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a competitive salary of $75,401 - $95,164, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward a defined benefit pension plan. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work and life.
If you’re the successful applicant, we’ll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your passing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act.