The Fort St. John Public Library welcomes applications for:
Library Clerk – On Call
*Wage categorization as Library Clerks – On Call in Appendix A of BCGEU CBA
Performs fundamental activities related to the circulation of materials while providing superior customer service to library patrons on an on-call and as needed basis.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Responsible for promoting the library’s objectives and mission as outlined in the policy; uphold the CLA Statement on Intellectual Freedom; and provide a superior level of customer service to library patrons.
2. Perform library opening and closing procedures.
3. Responsible for the daily handling of library materials including checking in & out, placing holds & interlibrary loan requests, renewal of items, processing payments for fines, printing, copying services, and those resulting from the front desk sales of library promotional merchandise.
4. Perform customer service duties including, registration of new patrons, updating patron registration, promoting the use of FSJPL’s services, assisting patrons in using the OPAC, assist patrons in locating materials, provide reader’s advisory services, contact patrons regarding overdue or requested materials, promote and uphold FSJPL’s behavior policy to patrons.
5. Responsible for answering telephone calls; addressing general inquiries as well as those pertaining to duties listed here, and directing other inquiries to appropriate departments.
6. Facilitate patrons’ access to public computer workstations and assist patrons in the basic operation of those workstations.
7. Troubleshoot minor computer issues on public and staff workstations, and self-check unit, referring to senior level staff when applicable.
8. Assist patrons in accessing the library’s digital resources using a variety of devices.
9. Responsible for working in a spirit of teamwork, mutual help and consideration.
10. Perform other related duties as assigned.
Directly responsible to the Director of Library Services.
Education: Minimum completion of Grade 12 or equivalent. Degrees in any discipline considered an asset.
Experience: 1-2 years’ work in a public or academic library, preferably; or alternatively in an office or public service organization that has provided experience in transferable skills.
Skills: Superior interpersonal and customer service skills. Proficient in the use of computers, wireless devices (tablets, e-eaders, smartphones), and basic troubleshooting of those devices. Proficient in basic Internet searching to locate relevant information. Knowledgeable of Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, Publisher. 40 WPM typing skills minimum. Knowledge of Sitka Evergreen ILS an asset.
• Adaptability & Flexibility – Adapts to changing business needs, conditions, and work responsibilities
• Assisting Others with Technology – Works effectively to help others learn, use, and adapt to current technological practices
• Communication – Applies a range of methods to effectively transfer thoughts and ideas
• Core Technology – Maintains awareness of commonly used technologies and applies technology effectively
• Customer Focus & Service to Others – Works to efficiently meet the needs of library users
• Initiative – Seeks ways of improving performance to meet organizational goals
• Problem Solving – Works to solve problems efficiently and responsibly
• Responsibility – Works to efficiently complete tasks in a timely and directed manner
• Teamwork – Works collaboratively with others to achieve group goals and objectives
• Technical Expertise – Applies and improves in-depth specialized knowledge and skills
Equipment: PC, laser barcode scanner, cross-platform wireless devices, photocopiers, printers, electromagnetic security desensitizers and other standard office equipment.
Please e-mail resumes to: email@example.com