Do you share our passion for workplace health and safety? Want to be part of a team of professionals helping employers prevent occupational illness, disease and disability? If so, we want to hear from you.
We’re looking for enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and dedicated occupational hygiene officers to help us build safer and healthier workplaces in British Columbia. We have positions available in our Fort St. John, Kelowna, Nanaimo, Prince George, Terrace, and Lower Mainland offices.
We’ll be reviewing applications weekly — don’t wait, apply today for roles scheduled to start in October 2019. Please specify in your cover letter which location(s) you prefer.
What you’ll do
You’ll partner with industry to reduce risk and keep workplaces healthy and safe through education, consultation, and enforcement. You’ll make a positive, tangible difference by:
• Anticipating, recognizing, and evaluating physical, chemical, and biological health hazards, and recommending control measures
• Investigating accidents
• Conducting occupational hygiene assessments
• Discussing physiology, toxicology, epidemiology, and industrial ventilation principles
• Making and explaining decisions
• Influencing and directing the actions and opinions of others and taking control of critical situations
• Interpreting, applying, explaining, and enforcing WorkSafeBC regulations, policies, guidelines, and standards
Want to know more? Here’s what one of our occupational hygiene officers has to say about his job.
Is this a good fit for you?
We’re looking for people who can:
• Use their interpersonal and communication skills to convey knowledge and gain compliance on complex health and safety issues and concerns within various work environments
• Use their critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate unique workplace health and safety issues and identify effective mitigations and controls
• Make and enforce timely decisions independently and objectively, using sound judgment and technical knowledge
• Professionally deal with emergencies and sensitive situations
• Work variable hours, including Saturdays, be available for emergency call out after hours or weekends, and be willing to travel throughout the province
Your experience and educational background:
• A bachelor’s degree with a major in sciences or engineering and either three years of experience in occupational hygiene, or four years of industry experience directly related to your field of scientific study or
• A master’s degree in occupational health or hygiene with either two years of direct experience in occupational hygiene, or three years of industry experience directly related to your undergraduate field of scientific study
• Working knowledge of industrial hygiene principles and practices, health sciences, and technical sciences
• General knowledge of occupational health and safety
Note: To see if your resume meets the requirements for this position, please review this resume screening document.
Who are we?
At WorkSafeBC, we’re dedicated to promoting safe and healthy workplaces across We partner with workers and employers to save lives and prevent injury, disease, and disability. When work-related injuries or diseases do occur, we provide compensation, and support injured workers in their recovery, rehabilitation, and safe return to work. We also work diligently to sustain our workers’ compensation system today and for future generations. We’re honoured to serve the million workers and 245,000 registered employers in our province.
What’s it like to work at WorkSafeBC?
It’s challenging, stimulating, and hugely rewarding. Our positions offer tremendous diversity and excellent opportunities for professional growth. Every day, the work we do impacts people and changes lives. What we do is important and so are the people we do it for.
Being part of WorkSafeBC means being part of a strong, committed team. Along with a starting salary of $76,909, your total compensation package includes vacation, optional leave arrangements, health care and dental benefits, and contributions toward a defined benefit pension plan. As a member of our team, you'll have access to services and benefits that can help you get the most out of work — and life. Learn more about what we offer.
If you’re the successful applicant, we’ll be making a conditional offer contingent upon your clearing a criminal record check under the Criminal Records Review Act. At the time of offer, you’ll need to provide consent for a criminal record check. Once we receive clearance, we’ll confirm your offer of employment.
Visit and select Careers to submit a resume and cover letter that details your characteristics, accomplishments, and prior work experience related to the requirements for the position. We can only accept applications submitted through our website.
Thank you, in advance, for applying.