Located in Fort St John, BC we are searching for a Controller, on behalf of one of our clients, to join their team to cover a parental leave, with the possibility of the position becoming permanent. Under the direction of the President & CEO, the Controller will be looked upon to plan, coordinate, and manage day-to-day financial and administrative needs, prepare financial reports and statements, concurrently managing the documents and job tasks related to those areas. As part of the management team, the Controller will work collaboratively to engage and assist team members in various departments while focusing on growing the organization through the development of strong accounting policies, procedures, standards and financial reporting.
The successful candidate will be a hands-on individual that can take initiative while being a solid business partner, providing financial guidance to the organization, as well as mentor staff in skill development to produce outstanding results. They will possess a “roll up their sleeves” attitude with a history of producing results. Individuals motivated by the chance to contribute to the overall success of a growing organization, and who thrive on the challenges and opportunities that come with a small and dynamic organization, will want to pursue this opportunity.
• Provides strategic leadership and direction in all aspects of the accounting operation.
• Provides leadership and day to day supervision as it relates to payroll, accounting and project costing functions.
• Provide recommendations on accounting software better suited to a dynamic, growing organization and lead the implementation of new software, complete with personnel training and support.
• Ensure the General Ledger accounts are accurate, reconciled, and maintained, including the preparation of weekly reconciliations and monthly working papers.
• Conduct payroll, including reporting of statutory obligations as required.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial statements and reporting packages.
• Prepare monthly intercompany worksheets for balancing and corporate reporting.
• Liaise with President & CEO to ensure financial information requirements are met.
• Prepare GST reports and other document submissions and ensure that filings are accurate and timely.
• Prepare weekly cash flow forecasts.
• Prepare vendor payments according to the payment cycles of the business.
• Prepare the financial reporting and project costing reports that meet the President’s expectations.
• Work with auditors to ensure that all information requests are submitted in a timely and efficient manner and prepare any necessary working papers that are not part of the monthly working papers during the year end and quarter end reviews.
• Ensure internal controls and audit trail are compliant with internal and external requirements.
• Assist in the preparation of the annual operating and capital budget(s).
• Prepare and present ad hoc reports to both operations and financial management as required.
• Acts as an effective performance coach and supervisor to all office team members that report to this position. This includes, assisting with recruitment, completion of performance reviews and management of day to day interactions.
• Oversight of office enquiries. Works closely with the management team to ensure operations run smoothly.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Post-secondary education with a minimum of three to five years of financial management experience, with extensive knowledge in full cycle accounting procedures
o Professional Accounting Designation is an asset but not mandatory
• Experience in project based and heavy equipment based operating environments
• Strong ability to plan and delegate tasks
• Well-established organization and prioritization skills
• Strong understanding of IT systems and proficient with all Microsoft products
• Experience in the administration and maintenance of accounting systems and processes
• Proven ability to build effective internal and external working relationships
• Ability to problem-solve and make sound recommendations pertaining to organization effectiveness
• Advanced analytical, interpersonal and communication skills
• Management and mentorship of personnel, with strong emotional intelligence, patience and cultural awareness
• A professional and positive attitude with personal accountability to performance expectations
This role will appeal to a detailed-oriented individual that is looking to be a champion of growth and innovation and become a true business partner to an organization’s management team with both a financial and operational skillset. If you feel you have the described background and are interested in learning more about this opportunity, please forward your resume and 3 references to email@example.com