McElhanney Ltd. is seeking both a Junior and Intermediate Materials Testing Technicians to join our growing team in Fort St. John, BC. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work on both field and laboratory testing projects. This position will work closely with our Geotechnical and Civil Engineering teams to deliver construction quality control and quality assurance services.
• Working as part of a team of highly skilled engineers, technicians, surveyors and drafters to provide excellent service to our clients
• Conducting laboratory Sieve Analysis, Moisture Density Relationships (Proctors), Hydrometers, and Atterberg Limits
• Conducting laboratory testing of concrete, compressive strength
• Conducting field testing of concrete, slump, air content, cast cylinders
• Conducting laboratory Hot Mix Asphalt testing
• Conducting Field Compaction testing using a nuclear densometer
• Conduct field investigations and assist senior techs in test pitting and soil logs
• Provide technical guidance to junior staff members, review of quality of work when appropriate
• Assist with proposal preparation and submission of timely reports
• Other duties as required.
• A diploma in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering Technology and at least 3-5 years’ progressive experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A or Designation, or eligibility to acquire one, would be considered an asset.
• CCIL Certification an asset
• Physically fit, able to lift heavy equipment, willing to work in various environmental conditions with varied terrain, able to work in wildlife populated areas and willing to work in remote areas when needed
• Good attitude and willingness to work cooperatively as a team player
• Prior supervisory and/or leadership experience is an asset
• Strong communication skills and leadership capabilities.
This role is designated as a safety sensitive position.
Based in Western Canada for over 100 years, McElhanney offers innovative and practical engineering, surveying, mapping, planning, landscape architecture, and environmental services. As a 100% employee-owned and operated firm, with over 1,100 staff members in 33 locations, we are proud to offer qualified staff with shareholding options in our company. At McElhanney, we work in teams to build strong connections with our staff, clients, and local communities. Our employees enjoy working here because of our varied projects, high levels of autonomy, opportunities for career development, excellent total compensation and benefits package, and collaborating with a team of great professionals.
Our Purpose: Amaze our clients. Care for our communities. Empower our people.
If this is the opportunity for you, apply now or visit to apply online. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.