- Responsible adult, of good character, 19 years of age or older
- Completed at least 30 hours or courses on caring for young children or hold a Responsible Adult Certificate or have relevant work experience
- Valid Emergency Child Care First Aid and CPR/AED Level B Certificate (or willing to obtain)
- Current criminal record check (will be completed upon hire)
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Proficient in child care, guidance and practices that promote social and personal development in young children, including those with behavioral difficulties and/or developmental delays
- Exercises patience and consistency in behavior management
- Willing and able to understand and implement RASCALS policies and procedures, regulations governing the child care provider role and all relevant licensing requirements
- Ability to assess the needs of the children and develop/carry out activities to promote social and personal development in children
- Willing and able to develop and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with a variety of people, including other staff members, children and their parents
- Interest and passion for working with young/school aged children
- Strong interpersonal skills to gain trust and respect of children and their parents
- Ability to work individually on given tasks but also willing to participate as a team member to provide safe, quality care that remains focused on what is in the best interest of children attending the program
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain confidentiality, use discretion regarding sensitive issues and respect the privacy and personal information of children/families receiving care.
Day to day duties include following the directions of the supervisor which may include but are not limited to the following: ensure children attending the program are present and accounted for at all times, plan and/or preparing snacks, assist in planning or implementing activities or crafts for the children, model appropriate behavior, provide respectful and appropriate guidance and behavior modification suggestions for children, support Supervisor/other staff in all relevant aspects of child care, undertake safety checks and measures as required, keep track of hours worked, participate in professional growth or education opportunities, adhere to and support the programming/schedule decided on by Supervisor, provide constructive input on programming/operational elements.
RASCALS is a non-profit society that runs a before and after school child care program. It is located within Charlie Lake Elementary School in Charlie Lake, BC (10 minutes west of Fort St John, BC) and offers care for children between the ages of 5-12. Our hours of operation are 6:45-8:45 am and 2:45-6:15 pm on all regular instructional school days (earlier in the afternoon of early dismissal days) and from 6:45am – 6:15 pm on NIDs (Non Instructional Day). We are closed on all STAT holidays, as well as the school district 60’s Christmas, Spring and Summer breaks.