North Peace Seniors Housing Society
• Minimum of 5 years experience of maintenance of hot water plants, power plants and maintenance systems.
Skills and Abilities Required
• Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with the Management, tenants, regulatory authorities, contractors and other staff
• Ability to Supervise staff and contractors
• Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings and specifications
• Recognize and be empathetic with the aging process and health concerns of tenants.
• Ability to work effectively and with multiple personality types with different points of view
• Ability to foster effective working relationships both internal and external, at all levels.
• Ability to anticipate and respond to changing priorities or unforeseen opportunities.
• Ability to organize and prioritize work
• Ability to operate all related equipment
• Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position
Reporting to Administration of North Peace Seniors Housing Society, this position is responsible to monitor the operations and maintenance of hot water plants used for heating the facilities, and stand by power plants. They are to ensure that repairs and preventive maintenance programs on the boilers, air conditioning units, emergency power and other related equipment of the facility are in compliance with applicable codes and regulations.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
• Performs regular maintenance duties around the facilities to ensure the tenants are not subject to unreasonable disruption of daily living conditions.
• Performs or supervise qualified skilled workers as a carpenter, painter, drywaller, electrician, plumber, appliance serviceman, locksmith, mechanic or welder
• Perform duties to ensure the outside works on the buildings and grounds are maintained at an acceptable standard. This includes sidewalks, driveways and parking area in the winter; and lawns and landscaping during the summer.
• Ensure that all equipment is maintained to a high standard of operations and that preventative maintenance programs are in place to monitor the performance necessary repairs.
• Establish Safe Work Procedures for work conducted by staff or by contractors and that they are adhered to
• Ensure that qualified personal are hired to perform repairs and maintenance checks on all equipment in operation.
• Perform related administrative duties and supervising designated staff.
• Operates steam, hot water heating boilers, expansible fluid and air conditioning systems, including starting up and shutting down boilers and related pumps, fans, air compressors, pneumatic systems; monitors and adjusts temperature control system, pressure and feed water levels; monitors and records meter and gauge readings to ensure distribution of heat to designated areas.
• Monitors and adjusts physical plant and heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems by operating a variety of mechanical, pneumatic and/or electronic control systems and performing such tasks as altering systems operating parameters and schedules; repairs and calibrates various instrumentation components; maintains required documentation. Performs or supervise qualified skilled workers doing preventative maintenance on all this equipment
• Tests and maintains auxiliary power generators and repairs/adjust as required.
• Performs or supervise qualified skilled workers testing on boiler systems such as combustion and water treatment analyses.
• Performs or supervise qualified skilled workers maintaining, repairing, replacing and extending hot water piping systems including components of the physical plant such as expansion joints, valves, air bleed valves, strainers, heat exchangers, gauges and insulation.
• Answers service and emergency calls for a variety of building systems such as fire protection. Performs required repairs or calls in appropriate person.
• Supervises designated staff by performing duties such as scheduling and coordinating work assignments, evaluating employee performance and determining related training and orientation requirements.
• Reviews work requests and consults with the Manager regarding specifications and other project requirements.
• Estimates material and labor requirements and costs; makes recommendations regarding budget for assigned area.
• Oversees the work of outside contractors to ensure adherence to specifications and other facility requirements.
• Ensures the maintenance and repair of vehicles, machinery and equipment. Orders materials and supplies and controls stock levels.
• Maintains required documentation that equipment, materials and projects conform to applicable standards, procedures and by-laws.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.