Canadian National Railway
Enjoying physical labour, teamwork and working outdoors as well as being safety-minded are vital to a career in rail operations at CN. With a vibrant, 24/7 schedule, no two days will ever be alike. You can expect fresh challenges, a safety-focused work environment, paid training and supportive colleagues who share your passion for motion. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
Apply today at:
Conductors work as members of two or three person train crews and perform duties associated with the movement of trains, rail cars, and locomotives in rail yards and on the road. They coordinate the assembly of trains and execute any ground work outside the locomotive cab while in the yard or en-route (ex: operating track switches, picking up rail cars, making emergency repairs,
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
• Working a flexible schedule with regular and predictable attendance, in line with the 24/7 railroading environment (includes night, weekend, holiday work hours, some overtime, and being away from home for extended periods of time)
• Pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying up to 90 pounds
• Working outdoors in varying weather and environmental conditions
• Operating various devices on rail cars and locomotives, such as uncoupling levers and handbrakes
• Climbing on and off ladders of moving rail cars
• Grasping and holding objects while riding the side of a train
• Walking for frequent extended periods
• Bending, stooping, squatting, and kneeling frequently
• Meeting medical fitness requirements for the position, including those established by the Railway Association of Canada, such as the ability to recognize and distinguish between the colors of signals
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the through a 19,500 mile rail network,?CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
Effective November 1, 2021, CN requires that all employees in Canada be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof thereof as a condition of employment. The Company’s vaccination mandate extends to employees of our wholly owned subsidiaries as well as CN’s contractors, consultants, agents and suppliers and anyone who accesses CN properties in Canada.